Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother Martyr

Mother martyr, may I smile,
May I sing for a little while?
May I feel just a little bit good,
The way the little really should?
May I please forget all about you,
Just for a little moment or two?
May I feel I’ve done something right,
May I sleep in peace tonight?
May I skip and jump and play
Without your glare and hell to pay?
May I not have to close my ears
Against your hoarse and bitter tears?
May I close my eyes and see
No big, black hole waiting for me?
Mother do I have to know
That daddy had his seeds to sow?
Can I please forget all about
The man you have to live without?
Can I pretend for just one day
That I didn’t make him go away?
I’d like to say that I knew
The one he really left was you.
I know, I know that’s just so wrong,
But my fantasy won’t last too long.
All I’m asking for is a break
From this hell I have to take.
I’ll return to my fear and shame
After I play this little game.
Mother Martyr, I’ll pay my dues,
I’ll always be the one to lose.
I’ll do anything you ask of me
If just this once you’ll let me be
A little girl without a care,
Instead of the heavy cross you bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment